Invitations to the First Week’s Events
Following are invitations and information on the events that will happen during the first week of school. They can also be found on the Valentine Website under News & Announcements.
New Parent Orientation
All new parents are invited to the New Parent Orientation for Grades 1-5 on Monday, August 13, 2018 11:00 AM-12:00 PM. in the Valentine Little Theatre. Mrs. Shields, Valentine Principal, will present an overview of Valentine and Zarana Patel, PTA President will provide information on our Valentine PTA.
Last year more than 41,000 parent hours supported activities and events at Valentine both in and out of the classroom. Please attend the Volunteer Fair on Monday, August 14th from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM on the Valentine Playground to learn about and sign up for PTA programs and volunteer opportunities at Valentine. Your involvement makes a difference and volunteering is a great way to meet parents and make new friends!
All School Ice Cream Social
The All School Ice Cream Social will be on Monday, August 13, 2018, from 5:00 PM- 7:00 PM. on the Valentine Playground. Please join us to celebrate the beginning of a new school year.
Teacher Assignments for grades TK, K-5 will be posted on the windows of our Little Theatre at 6:00 PM on Friday, August 10th.
Each year in the spring before school is dismissed, our classroom teachers, principal, and specialists are involved in creating classroom lists for the following year. Many hours are spent in meeting, discussing, and creating well-balanced classrooms.
All classes are grouped heterogeneously. Each class includes a wide rage of academic abilities, personalities, behavior skills and a balance of boys and girls.
Specific parent requests for classroom assignments or teachers are not considered. We ask that parents trust the school’s decisions in placing students. It is almost impossible to prepare class lists while working within the constraints of parent requests. We have an exceptionally dedicated staff who will provide the same quality of learning experiences for your child. Our teachers within each grade level plan cooperatively so as to maintain like instructional programs.
Back to School Night
All parents are invited to Valentine’s Back to School Night on Thursday, August 16, 2018. This is the opportunity to hear from your student’s teacher her plans and expectations for the 2018-19 school year. This is a very important meeting for essential classroom information. This is a Minimum Day for students Grades TK, K & 1st; dismissal time is 12:30 P.M. The schedule for the evening is
5:30-PM- 6:00 P.M. Room 8 & 9 Classroom Presentations for Special Academic Instruction (SAI)
6:00 PM- 6:40 PM. Classroom Presentations for TK, Kindergarten, First Grade, Second Grade
6:45 PM- 7:30 PM. Classroom Presentations for Third Grade, Fourth Grade, Fifth Grade
This is a parent only event.
Grades 1 - 5 Schedules for the First Week of School
Tuesday August 14, 2018 – Minimum Day Schedule 8:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M. ALL Grades TK, K-5
Wednesday, August 15, 2018 – Minimum Day Schedule for Grades 8:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M TK, K, 1st
Thursday, August 16, 2017 – Minimum Day Schedule for Grades 8:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M TK, K, 1st
Friday, August 17, 2017 – Minimum Day Schedule for Grades ALL GRADES TK, K -5
Regular Day Schedules
- TK, K, 1-3 - 8:30 A.M. to 2:30 P.M.
- 4-5 - 8:30 A.M. to 2:50 P.M.
Drop Off and Pick-up of Students in Grades 1 -5
Please carpool to help reduce traffic congestion, especially on rainy days.
School begins at 8:30 A.M. Children must not arrive at school until 8:15 A.M. Adult supervision is not available until 8:15 A.M. All children proceed to the playground areas at 8:15 A.M.
The San Marino Recreation Department and the YMCA offer before school daycare programs for a fee.
Arriving late to school: Good citizenship and academic achievement begin with prompt school arrival. If a child does arrive after his/her class begins, please have him/her report to the office first to receive an arrival slip before going to class.
Driving (from the Valentine Handbook)
- Only the Kindergarten Circle, Huntington Drive Parking Lot, and Virginia Road Parking Lot are supervised drop-off/pick-up areas. The Sherwood area is not approved, supervised or monitored. In order to evenly distribute the number of vehicles and to prevent back-ups on Huntington Drive, use of the parking lots is as follows:
Please arrive on time.
- Kindergarten Circle is for use by TK and Kindergarten students ONLY in the PM.
- Huntington Drive Lot is available only to those vehicles dropping off or picking up only ONE student. Traffic through this lot must move quickly to avoid any back-up on Huntington Drive. Vehicles using the Huntington Drive Lot should:
1) approach from east-bound Huntington Drive;
2) avoid Virginia Road, which will have its own pick-up line; and,
3) not make U-turns from west-bound Huntington Drive into the parking lot.
- Virginia Road Lot is available to those vehicles dropping off or picking up handicapped students, carpools, or two or more students. Drivers using the Virginia Road lot must enter from the north-bound lane. There is no left turn into the lot within 15 minutes before or after pick-up and drop-off times. DO NOT make a U-turn on Virginia Road. (This is highly dangerous because of the crosswalks and the amount of traffic.)
There is only one traffic lane circling through each pick-up/drop-off area. Do not create a second lane nor attempt to pass other cars unless directed to do so.
Always pull as far forward as possible and stay close to the yellow curbs and poles so that other cars may get around your vehicle if necessary.
Children must always enter or exit from the passenger side of the vehicle.
Drivers should never exit or leave their cars while in the traffic lane. If your children are not in the designated area when you arrive for pick-up, you must find legal parking before leaving your car to look for them.
If you intend to walk your student to class or drop off items for your student, you must find legal parking – do not leave cars in the Kindergarten Circle or red curb areas for any period of time.
No drop-off or pick-up except in designated areas. Children may not exit or enter cars in any red curb area, between other cars, or within 25 feet of any exit at any time. This is for their safety!!! Children must wait for pick-up in designated areas behind the yellow poles.
Safety in the children’s pick-up and drop-off areas requires each driver’s full attention. No cell phone use is permitted in any of the drop-off/pick-up lots or circles.
Out of consideration for others in line, children should unload quickly and move immediately to the area behind the yellow curb or poles. At afternoon pick-up, students should be in the staging area, watching for their vehicles and ready to load quickly. Vehicles must always move out immediately.
Children walking home via Sherwood Road should leave the school via the gate only immediately upon dismissal without interfering with P.E. classes in session. At no time should younger children wait in the unsupervised areas by Sherwood for older siblings or friends.
Parking is available along Huntington Drive and Virginia Road. Visitor spaces marked for short-term parent parking are available in the Huntington Drive lot.
- There is no drop-off permitted prior to 8:15 A.M. for Grades K-5.
- Children dropped off after 8:30 A.M. must go to the office for a late arrival slip before going to class
- Vehicles arriving for 4th and 5th graders prior to 2:45 P.M. must find legal parking or circle around the block to get in the later pick-up line.
You must be on time to pick up your child at 2:30 P.M. Our San Marino Recreation Department does provide after school care from 2:30 to 2:50 P.M. for families with older siblings. You must register for this program. For all before and after school care, please contact the San Marino Recreation Department for more information. Their office can be reached at 626/403-2200 Monday through Thursday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- Children should cross at Huntington Drive or Roanoke Road, where there is a crossing guard (never in the middle of the street). At the Kindergarten Circle, please make sure that drivers see you before crossing, and never walk in the driving area of the circle.
- Walkways into the school grounds are available at both the north and south side of the Virginia Road parking lot. Children must never walk or ride across the entrance or exit to the parking lot.
- Bicycles and scooters may be ridden to school only by 4th and 5th graders at the beginning of the school year. This privilege is extended to 3rd graders after they successfully complete the traffic safety course given after the school year begins.
- No bikes, scooters, or skateboards may be ridden on school grounds at any time. This includes during sporting events, on weekends, afternoon or in the evenings.
- All bikes must be locked at the bike racks. Scooters can either be secured to the bike racks or can be kept in a backpack.
* Virginia Road Parking Lot for Carpools only
** Huntington Drive Parking Lot for Single riders only
*** Kindergarten Circle for Kindergarten students only
First Day Packets
First Day Packet information can be found located under News and Announcements and on the District Website under Parents and Students.
Our forms are completed on-line through your Info-Snap account so that we are “greener” and the forms are easier for you to fill out because they “auto-populate.” Once you fill in a piece of information it will be filled in automatically on all the forms that require it. Info-Snap information will be mailed to you.
All information in the First Day Packet MUST be completed before the first day of school. It is critical that all contact information for your student is accurate in case of emergencies
We highly recommend completing your child’s First Day Packet several weeks before school starts so you will have adequate time to read our school and district policies and input information.
Our forms are completed on-line through your Info-Snap account so that we are "greener" and the forms are easier for you to fill out because they "auto-populate." Once you fill in a piece of information it will be filled in automatically on all the forms that require it. Info-Snap information will be mailed to you.
All information in the First Day Packet MUST be completed before the first day of school. It is critical that all contact information for your student is accurate in case of emergencies.
We highly recommend completing your child's First Day Packet several weeks before school starts so you will have adequate time to read our school and district policies and input information.
Last year, more than 41,000 parent volunteer hours supported activities and events at Valentine both in and out of the classroom. Please attend the Volunteer Fair on Monday, August 13, 2018 from 5:00 PM- 7:00 PM to learn about and sign up for PTA programs and volunteer opportunities at Valentine. Your involvement makes a difference.
We hope we have helped you feel more at ease about your first days at Valentine and look forward to seeing you soon.