Important Information For The First Week of School
Class placements will be made available on 8/8/2023 on Clever.
KINDERGARTEN WELCOME WAGON AND ORIENTATION
Wednesday, August 9, 2023 @ 8:15 AM in the Kindergarten playground
NEW FAMILY ORIENTATION
Wednesday, August 9, 2023 @ 11 AM in the Little Theater
1st & 2nd GRADE COFFEE
Thursday, August 10, 2023 @ 8:45 AM in the Little Theater
3RD, 4TH & 5TH GRADE COFFEE
Friday, August 11, 2023 @ 8:45 AM in the Little Theater
MINIMUM DAYS FOR AUGUST
Please leave any late lunches on the blue table by the office clearly marked with the student’s name. Students should be instructed to look there if they forgot their lunch. Parents should not be in the Lunch Court area.
Students in Grades TK-5 may order a breakfast and hot sack lunch ( through their teacher) from the cafeteria that is located on the Huntington Middle School campus. The student will pick up a sack lunch from the Huntington Cafeteria and return to the Valentine lunch court to eat it there. Menu information and Food Services information can be found on the San Marino School District Website. District Food Services maintains electronic accounts for each child in the Huntington Cafeteria.
- 8:30 A.M. - 2:30 P.M for Grades TK, K, 1-3
- 8:30 A.M. - 2:50 P.M. for Grades 4 and 5
- Arriving late to school: Good citizenship and academic achievement begin with prompt school arrival. If a child does arrive after his/her class begins, please have him/her report to the office first to receive an arrival slip before going to class.
- Right At School provides a high quality and engaging before- and after-school program from 7:00 am until 6:00 pm every day school is in session. Families will be able to work with Right at School to create flexible monthly schedules to support their families' busy lives. Drop-in care as well as punch cards are also flexible options and Right At School will be available during normal school breaks, non-school days and summer.
Right At School does provide after school care from 2:30 to 2:50 P.M. for families with older siblings. You must register for this program. For all before and after school care, please contact the Right At School for more information.
- Only the Kindergarten Circle, Huntington Drive Parking Lot, and Virginia Road Parking Lot are supervised drop-off/pick-up areas. The Sherwood area is not approved, supervised or monitored. In order to evenly distribute the number of vehicles and to prevent back-ups on Huntington Drive, use of the parking lots is as follows:
- Kindergarten Circle is for use by TK and Kindergarten students and their siblings.
- Huntington Drive Lot is available only to those vehicles dropping off or picking up only ONE student. Traffic through this lot must move quickly to avoid any back-up on Huntington Drive. Vehicles using the Huntington Drive Lot should:
1) approach from east-bound Huntington Drive;
2) avoid Virginia Road, which will have its own pick-up line; and,
3) not make U-turns from west-bound Huntington Drive into the parking lot.
- Virginia Road Lot is available to those vehicles dropping off or picking up handicapped students, carpools, or two or more students. Drivers using the Virginia Road lot must enter from the north-bound lane. There is no left turn into the lot within 15 minutes before or after pick-up and drop-off times. DO NOT make a U-turn on Virginia Road. (This is highly dangerous because of the crosswalks and the amount of traffic.)
- Please arrive on time.
- There is no drop-off permitted prior to 8:15 A.M. for Grades TK and K-5.
- Children dropped off after 8:30 A.M. must go to the office for a late arrival slip before going to class
- All students dismissed at 2:30 P.M. must be picked up at 2:30 P.M. Students dismissed at 2:30 may not wait on campus for a sibling, friend or neighbor dismissed at 2:50 P.M.
- Vehicles arriving for 4th and 5th graders prior to 2:45 P.M. must find legal parking or circle around the block to get in the later pick-up line.
- There is only one traffic lane. Children may not walk between cars in the pick up lane to enter a vehicle that is parked or in an adjacent lane.
- Always pull as far forward as possible and stay close to the yellow curbs and poles so that other cars may get around your vehicle if necessary.
- Children must always enter or exit from the curb side of the vehicle.
- Drivers should never exit or leave their cars while in the traffic lane. If your children are not in the designated area when you arrive for pick-up, you must find legal parking before leaving your car to look for them.
- If you intend to walk your student to class or drop off items for your student, you must find legal parking – do not leave cars in the Kindergarten Circle or red curb areas for any period of time.
- No drop-off or pick-up except in designated areas. Children may not exit or enter cars in any red curb area, between other cars, or within 25 feet of any exit at any time. This is for their safety!!! Children must wait for pick-up on the benches.
- Safety in the children’s pick-up and drop-off areas requires each driver’s full attention. No cell phone use is permitted in any of the drop-off/pick-up lots or circles.
- Out of consideration for others in line, children should unload quickly and move immediately to the area behind the yellow curb or poles. At afternoon pick-up, students should be on the benches, watching for their vehicles and ready to load quickly. Vehicles must always move out immediately. Food is not permitted in the waiting area.
- Children walking home via Sherwood Road should leave the school via the gate only immediately upon dismissal without interfering with P.E. classes in session. At no time should younger children wait in the unsupervised areas by Sherwood for older siblings or friends.
- Parking is available along Huntington Drive and Virginia Road. Visitor spaces marked for short-term parent parking are available in the Huntington Drive lot.
- Children should cross at Huntington Drive or Roanoke Road, where there is a crossing guard (never in the middle of the street). At the Kindergarten Circle, please make sure that drivers see you before crossing, and never walk in the driving area of the circle.
- Walkways into the school grounds are available at both the north and south side of the Virginia Road parking lot. Children must never walk or ride across the entrance or exit to the parking lot.
- Bicycles and scooters may be ridden to school only by 4th and 5th graders at the beginning of the school year. This privilege is extended to 3rd graders after they successfully complete the traffic safety course given after the school year begins.
- No bikes, scooters, or skateboards may be ridden on school grounds at any time. This includes during sporting events, on weekends, afternoon or in the evenings.
- All bikes must be locked at the bike racks. Scooters can either be secured to the bike racks or can be kept in a backpack.
* Virginia Road Parking Lot for Carpools only
** Huntington Drive Parking Lot for Single riders only
*** Kindergarten Circle for TK and Kindergarten
First Day Packets
First Day Packet information can be found located under News and Events and on the District Website under Parents and Students.
Our forms are completed on-line through your Info-Snap account so that we are “greener” and the forms are easier for you to fill out because they “auto-populate.” Once you fill in a piece of information it will be filled in automatically on all the forms that require it. Info-Snap information will be mailed to you.
All information in the First Day Packet MUST be completed before the first day of school. It is critical that all contact information for your student is accurate in case of emergencies
We highly recommend completing your child’s First Day Packet several weeks before school starts so you will have adequate time to read our school and district policies and input information.
Last year, more than 41,000 parent volunteer hours supported activities and events at Valentine both in and out of the classroom. Please attend PTA association meetings to learn and sign up for PTA programs and volunteer opportunities at Valentine. Your involvement makes a difference.
We hope we have helped you feel more at ease about your first days at Valentine and look forward to seeing you soon.