Important Information For The First Week of School
San Marino Unified Schools are excited for the upcoming year! SMUSD plans to offer full in-person instruction to the greatest extent possible for 2021-2022. Information is still changing and plans may change but this is what is anticipated at this time:
- The bell schedules for 2021-2022 will follow the traditional schedule prior to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- All students and staff will be required to mask indoors in all youth settings regardless of vaccination status.
- Independent Study
- Students who are medically at-risk for COVID-19 may consider Independent Study. The District is in the process of surveying families to develop its independent study options. More information will be provided.
- Student meals will be provided at no cost to any student.
- All grades TK-5 students will have access to a device in the classroom.
TEACHER ASSIGNMENTS Class placements will be made available on 8/10/2020 on Clever.
Please contact Tech Support if you do not have your student's login information.
Kindergarten Welcome Wagon and New Parents Meeting
Wednesday, August 11, 2021
8:45-9:45 AM Little Theater
Translated Chinese Language Parents Meeting
Class lists will be posted on Power School online prior to the start of school. You will receive your login information from the district technology department via email.
©LUNCH: Students may bring their lunch to eat in the lunch court, or they may order a free lunch through their teacher which will be provided by Food Services in the cafeteria. Please leave any late lunches on the blue table by the office clearly marked with the student’s name. Students should be instructed to look there if they forgot their lunch. Parents should not be in the Lunch Court area.
©CAFETERIA LUNCHES: District Food Services maintains electronic accounts for each child in the Huntington Cafeteria.
Students in Grades TK-5 may order a breakfast and hot or sack lunch ( through their teacher) from the cafeteria that is located on the Huntington Middle School campus. The student will eat a hot lunch in the Huntington Cafeteria; the student will pick up a sack lunch from the Huntington Cafeteria and return to the Valentine lunch court to eat it there. Menu information and Food Services information can be found on the San Marino School District Website.
Full Day School Hours are:
8:30 A.M. to 2:30 P.M Grades TK, K, 1-3
8:30 A.M. to 2:50 P.M. Grades 4 and 5
Drop Off and Pick-Up of Students in Grades 1 - 5
Please carpool to help reduce traffic congestion, especially on rainy days.
School begins at 8:30 A.M. Children must not arrive at school until 8:15 A.M. Adult supervision is not available until 8:15 A.M. All children proceed to the playground areas at 8:15 A.M.
The San Marino Recreation Department and Right at School offer before school daycare programs for a fee.
Arriving late to school: Good citizenship and academic achievement begin with prompt school arrival. If a child does arrive after his/her class begins, please have him/her report to the office first to receive an arrival slip before going to class.
Driving (from the Valentine Handbook)
- Only the Kindergarten Circle, Huntington Drive Parking Lot, and Virginia Road Parking Lot are supervised drop-off/pick-up areas. The Sherwood area is not approved, supervised or monitored. In order to evenly distribute the number of vehicles and to prevent back-ups on Huntington Drive, use of the parking lots is as follows:
- Kindergarten Circle is for use by TK and Kindergarten students.
- Huntington Drive Lot is available only to those vehicles dropping off or picking up only ONE student. Traffic through this lot must move quickly to avoid any back-up on Huntington Drive. Vehicles using the Huntington Drive Lot should:
1) approach from east-bound Huntington Drive;
2) avoid Virginia Road, which will have its own pick-up line; and,
3) not make U-turns from west-bound Huntington Drive into the parking lot.
- Virginia Road Lot is available to those vehicles dropping off or picking up handicapped students, carpools, or two or more students. Drivers using the Virginia Road lot must enter from the north-bound lane. There is no left turn into the lot within 15 minutes before or after pick-up and drop-off times. DO NOT make a U-turn on Virginia Road. (This is highly dangerous because of the crosswalks and the amount of traffic.)
- There is no drop-off permitted prior to 8:15 A.M. for Grades TK and K-5.
- Children dropped off after 8:30 A.M. must go to the office for a late arrival slip before going to class
- All students dismissed at 2:30 P.M. must be picked up at 2:30 P.M. Students dismissed at 2:30 may not wait on campus for a sibling, friend or neighbor dismissed at 2:50 P.M.
- Vehicles arriving for 4th and 5th graders prior to 2:45 P.M. must find legal parking or circle around the block to get in the later pick-up line.
You must be on time to pick up your child at 2:30 P.M. Our San Marino Recreation Department does provide after school care from 2:30 to 2:50 P.M. for families with older siblings. You must register for this program. For all before and after school care, please contact the San Marino Recreation Department for more information. Their office can be reached at 626/403-2200 Monday through Thursday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- Children should cross at Huntington Drive or Roanoke Road, where there is a crossing guard (never in the middle of the street). At the Kindergarten Circle, please make sure that drivers see you before crossing, and never walk in the driving area of the circle.
- Walkways into the school grounds are available at both the north and south side of the Virginia Road parking lot. Children must never walk or ride across the entrance or exit to the parking lot.
- Bicycles and scooters may be ridden to school only by 4th and 5th graders at the beginning of the school year. This privilege is extended to 3rd graders after they successfully complete the traffic safety course given after the school year begins.
- No bikes, scooters, or skateboards may be ridden on school grounds at any time. This includes during sporting events, on weekends, afternoon or in the evenings.
- All bikes must be locked at the bike racks. Scooters can either be secured to the bike racks or can be kept in a backpack.
* Virginia Road Parking Lot for Carpools only
** Huntington Drive Parking Lot for Single riders only
*** Kindergarten Circle for TK and Kindergarten
First Day Packets
First Day Packet information can be found located under News and Events and on the District Website under Parents and Students.
Our forms are completed on-line through your Info-Snap account so that we are “greener” and the forms are easier for you to fill out because they “auto-populate.” Once you fill in a piece of information it will be filled in automatically on all the forms that require it. Info-Snap information will be mailed to you.
All information in the First Day Packet MUST be completed before the first day of school. It is critical that all contact information for your student is accurate in case of emergencies
We highly recommend completing your child’s First Day Packet several weeks before school starts so you will have adequate time to read our school and district policies and input information.
Last year, more than 41,000 parent volunteer hours supported activities and events at Valentine both in and out of the classroom. Please attend the Volunteer Fair Monday, August 18, 2014 from 8:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. on the Valentine Playground to learn about and sign up for PTA programs and volunteer opportunities at Valentine. Your involvement makes a difference.
We hope we have helped you feel more at ease about your first days at Valentine and look forward to seeing you soon.