We believe that regular school attendance plays a key role in the success a student achieves in school. Class participation is an integral part of students' learning experiences. We encourage parents/guardians to schedule medical appointments during non-school hours. Please make every effort to have your child in school each day. Our state funds are based upon students' actual daily attendance. The school looses state funds every day that your child is absent from school for any reason including illness.
Absence from school shall be excused only for health reasons, family emergencies and justifiable personal reasons as permitted by state law. State law permits students to be excused from school when the absence is for one of the following reasons:
- Due to his or her illness.
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer.
- For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometrical, or chiropractic services rendered.
- For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of his or her immediate family, so long as the absence is not more than one day if the service is conducted in California and not more than three days if the service is conducted outside California.
- For justifiable personal reasons, including, but not limited to, an appearance in court, attendance at a funeral service, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or he religion, attendance at religious retreats, when the pupil's absence is requested in writing by the parent or guardian and approved by the principal or a designated representative pursuant to uniform standards established by the governing board.
Please call the Valentine Student Absence Line (626) 299-7090 – Option 1 before 9:00 A.M. You may also email Reyna Hernandez at rhernand[email protected] and leave a message each day that your child is absent or will be arriving late. Please send a note with your child the first day he/she returns to school with the reason for your child's absence.
Schoolwork and homework requests for students meeting the criteria for an excused absence may be made through the office on the second day of absence for pick-up at the end of the third day of absence. Students will be given the opportunity to make up schoolwork missed because of an excused absence. Full credit will be given if the work is turned in according to the teacher's make-up schedule. Students who miss schoolwork because of an unexcused absence shall be given the opportunity to make-up missed work for full or reduced credit at the option of the teacher when the student returns to school. Teachers will not prepare school work for students prior to leaving for an unexcused absence including vacations, extended holidays, visiting relatives etc.
Independent Study Program
Independent Study Program is available for students who meet the criteria for an excused absence and who will be absent for five (5) days or longer. The school does not lose state attendance funds for students who participate in this program. Independent Study Program contracts are subject to the principal’s approval. Please contact the office at least one week in advance to arrange for Independent Study. The teacher will then plan the work and contact you for an appointment to review it. The assignments will be due on the day the student returns to school.
A home teacher is available if your child will be absent for more than ten days with a non- contagious illness. A doctor’s note is required at the time of application for a Home Teacher. The Home Teacher is arranged through the District Office.
Parents should notify the office in writing when they will be out of town. Please include the dates of your absence and the name of the person responsible for the student(s) while you are gone.